Tuesday, November 16, 2010

One of the Greats

Michelangelo.


One of the greatest artists in our Western History.


I'm taking an Italian Renaissance class this semester and the past two classes we have been discussing Michelangelo. Specifically today we talked about the Sistine Chapel, which i have never seen in person, but i sure would love to. We had a debate on whether or not art restoration should be used to preserve the paintings or not. I could definitely see both sides of the argument, but i decided that i side more on art restoration. Although there is risk of some of the original elements being taking away, i want for others, myself, and my children to see the works someday. If they are all covered in grime and dirt, how could we? As long as they are careful and do it right, then i am okay with it. Let them ha 


P.S. One girl basically said today that she didn't really care about Michelangelo's works. WHAT? I think he is magnificent. So that's why I am sharing this post today. One of my favorite works...


                                                                      The Pieta


“Many believe - and I believe - that I have been designated for this work by God. In spite of my old age, I do not want to give it up; I work out of love for God and I put all my hope in Him.”


-Michelangelo

2 comments:

  1. True that sister. Great post. Love it, love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Jam- he was definitely an inspired man from God... his works are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete